Sunday, April 13, 2008

Turkeys and Peepers





In my neighborhood there is a resident flock of turkeys which has been around for about three years. They sleep in the trees near our bedroom windows, parade down the road like peacocks, and dine under a neighbor's window. She puts food out several time a day and if it isn't out there yet they fly up and gently bump the windows. I saw them today for the first time in a while, as a couple of large dogs had frightened them off, and the male was proudly herding his ladies across the road for a lunch date.

More exciting to me was the beginning of peeper season the other evening. These little frogs live in a pond across from my house and they are brought into spring activity by the degree at which the sun finally hits them on its return to summer mode. They will yell and carouse for quite a while to find mates, then quiet down. But in the fall, when the sun is hitting us at the same angle on its travels toward winter they will pipe up for a short time.

I hope you enjoy my mini-rogues' gallery of tiny, smiling frogs! They owe their good genes to Mary Lockwood. One of her frogs lives in my studio!

No comments: