Monday, April 7, 2008

Class with Andrea Guarino Slemmons





Andrea is one of the most generous teachers I have met. She taught us most of her signature beads. Once we learn the style the real challenge is to use the techniques to evolve new work of our own. We used Moretti opal yellow, various 96 COE enamel powders, PMC and silver coring to develop this collection of beads in the bottom photo. After working on off-mandrel hearts with the ingredients Andrea uses, including opal yellow, I made my hearts with a Reichenbach yellow glass with a combination of frits and enamel powders, and silver foil. Andrea's mothwing beads are unique to her, but I did experiment with color changes, second photo from top. And while I love Andrea's galaxy beads the best, I experimented with some silver-laden colors and practiced my fuming techniques, resulting in a bead that is more like an oceanic vortex, top photo.

A few years ago I took a wonderful class with Michael Barley, another kind and generous teacher. But I was not quite ready for all that he taught. This time I had more capabilities and understanding of the ways of glass, so much of what Andrea taught was greedily absorbed. I hope I will be showing more beads composed with her beautiful techniques. Fuming glass with silver and capturing it in the bead is pure magic.

I also got to know Kristen Frantzen Orr, one of my most favorite beadmakers. Let's hope sharing Thai food and rides with her allowed some floral techniques to rub off...I love to make florals!

I met Stosh, such a cool woman, and Susan from Alaska, so down to earth and warm. Taking classes is a great way to expand one's skills, meet other artists, and stretch the collective envelopes. I am so glad I went to Port Townsend.

1 comment:

Izzy said...

Fantastic beads! I would love to take a class with Andrea, and learn all those cool things - your hearts are beautiful, and the PMC caps on the silver cored beads are just perfect!