Sunday, July 20, 2008

Step into the Garden, Step into the Sea!





I love doing florals in glass. I am NO gardener, as my yard will testify, but in glass, flowers reign supreme! The detail of the larger bead gives you an idea of the depth one can achieve in glass.

Oh, did I tell you about the mermaids? It has been a goal for a long while to make mermaids, and my favorite models were by Teresa LaLiberte, in Germany. Recently she made a tutorial available on goddesses, which are the land-maids. From there I ventured toward my first mermaid. Her purpose is to germinate the sea, aka jellyfish, my passion in glass. So I got another tutorial done by Mary Lockwood and started learning her style of jellies.

I am offering you a glimpse of the first of the group, not so much to show them off, because they are the first, and I have lofty ambitions with the theme. But I am proud of them. I held my breath while I made the first one, especially as I moved off-mandrel to do her tail....if you have ever worked with glass you know that "cool" is not your friend, so you have to keep the whole piece hot while you work...a tall order when you are deeply concentrating on the placement of "pearls" around the mermaid's neck. The next thing you know there are serious underwater
fissures in your work, and two hours of prep and construction might just bite the water bucket.

So if you chance to find a mermaid, pregnant with jellyfish, with silver-laden glass details and a pearl necklace don't flinch when you see the cost of her. I am pushing my personal envelope with these little sculptures and I can tell you that the good ones would have a dear price. I am hoping some of my mermaids will be "up there" some day, for people to enjoy. And by the way, you may not want to buy such a piece for yourself but your appreciation means so much to us glass artist types! So thank you for your oohs and ahhs....they are golden.

No comments: