Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Flower Power





I am in a beautiful show and the Center for Maine Contemporary Art in Rockport, Maine. It is called Flower Power. Anyone who goes to see this show will feel so happy for being able to see 14 artists' interpretations of flowers, offered in the middle of January for extra effect!

Interestingly enough, the piece that most captivated me is lying on a white pedestal. It is a crushed copper bulb, open at one end, attached to a gently curved pipe. It looks like a poppy, in a way. The copper is beautifully and richly oxidized, and all the crenellations and dents bear the emphasis of the deep copper blue surface. So how is this so intriguing? From poppy, to crushed, to lying flat on a surface, my mind leaped to the Middle East...no further explanations necessary. It was a simple, strong statement to me on how things are in that part of the world.

I was inspired by 24 small black panels mounted on the far wall, each bearing roses of different colors and types...just breathtaking, by the artist Connie Hayes.

And somewhere along the way to her wall is a glass case with my offerings, the foxgloves and sweet peas that make up these three necklaces. They are made with Bullseye glass, and the pinks and purples of the one sweet pea necklace are hand-blended colors. I love the goofy first shot because the way light travels through glass makes my heart sing!

2 comments:

yenpart said...

Hi Penny! I'd like to know if you offer class to share your awesome talent. I admire your creativity.

bead on,
yen.

Penny said...

Hi, Yen! Your work is beautiful! I love the tiny drop beads on your bracelets. I am trying to get the materials together to make wire-wrapped bead caps with hose kinds of little gems, and don't know where to find them!

I don't teach because I work out of a tiny room in my house. I wish you didn't live quite so far away because I would like to meet you and talk about what you do!

Thank you for your wonderful comments, Yen. Perhaps you could email me at pennygentle@gmail.com and we could talk some more! Penny